Friday, November 18, 2011

Tell Governor Corbett: No More $ for Harrisburg University

In 2002 The Pennsylvania legislator set aside $59M for the Harrisburg Polytechnic Institute through the Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP). The Harrisburg Polytechnic Institute later changed its name to The Harrisburg University of Science and Technology. Governors Rendell and Schweiker released $37M in commonwealth funds to support the university.  

  Pennsylvania Act 2002-131, SB1213
Nearly 750 RACP grants were approved for funding by Governor Rendell. When Governor Corbett took office, his administration began reviewing all of those grants. Governor Corbett is currently "re-releasing" those grants. That is, he is examining and re-approving those grants. Harrisburg University expects an additional $22M from the Commonwealth.

Considering Harrisburg University's current turmoil, it would be folly to release $22M to an administration that clearly lacks financial responsibility. Persistent rumors of serious financial difficulties, dwindling student enrollment, bloated administrative salaries and drastic staff reductions (HU fired 5-7 employees in the past few years for "financial reasons") are serious concerns. Additionally, there are rumors of enormous administrative expense accounts, catered lunches, and all-expense-paid vacations. It's possible that Harrisburg University will simply lose accreditation and go out of business. Why throw good money after bad? Most universities operate on the principle of financial transparency, usually supporting a faculty budgetary committee. Not surprisingly, the Provost, do-nothing President and absentee trustees have refused to act responsibly and with transparency. Harrisburg University currently does not deserve taxpayer money. Only under a new administration and a new attitude of transparency, do they deserve financial support from the taxpayer.

What can you do?

You can contact Governor Corbett (email) and voice your disapproval for releasing funds to an indulgent administration. Or you can visit, phone or snail mail: Governor's Office, 225 Main Capitol Building, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17120 Phone: (717) 787-2500.

You can also contact your local legislator and alert them of the issue.

You can also contact Senator Piccola Harrisburg Office, Room 173, Main Capitol Building, Harrisburg, PA 17120, (717) 787-6801, 1-888-PICCOLA


  1. You guys should REALLY call Senator Piccola, he is the chairman of the education commission in Pennsylvania and supported HU. He'll be pissed.

  2. I have e-mailed everyone that you listed and told them that I would love to talk to them on the phone. I included the link to this blog and did let them know that all sources are sited, and links are posted to them. I would like to thank whoever is running this blog for taking a stand and alerting all the students! The students, together, will be able to make a difference.